Friday, March 2, 2012

My coworker's vanishing undies

It was Thursday morning, around 10 a.m. or so, I was in my office working away, when I heard a loud commotion in the hallway. I thought "Sheez, someone's having too much fun." I laughed at the sounds my coworkers made, not knowing what the fuss was all about. After all, laughter is contagious, you know. I continued with my work and about 15 minutes later I walk by the receptionist's desk, she waves me down and asks "Did you hear what happened?" I was intrigued, so I put my ear closer to her as I replied "No, what happened?" She could barely contain her laughter as she began to tell me the story. When I heard, I burst out laughing as well, headed back to my office and immediately shared with my boss what I had just heard.
A few hours later, one of our vendors that the older employees have developed a close friendship with shows up. (This is where I begin to refer to my coworkers by another name to protect their identity) He sits in the office across the hall to visit with his friend (my coworker) and my boss yells out "Hey Frank, why don't you ask Ms. Fancypants what she did today?"
So Frank looks at her and asks, "What did you do?"
She gracefully replies: "I was in my closet changing this morning. I had a pair of underwear, but decided on wearing another pair. I was fully dressed when I realized I was missing that first pair of underwear. I looked around, I looked on the floor, under the bench, and nothing. So I proceeded about my day. I walked the dog, I came back, had breakfast, and came to work. A few hours later, I went to the kitchen and I happen to look in the trash, and there they were! My missing underwear from this morning were in the kitchen trash - at work! I pull them out and I say out loud 'these are my underwear!' No one can believe I admitted to it."
By this time, we had all gathered around her office door to hear her tell the story. We all burst out laughing again.
Apparently, one of the gentlemen we work with found something on the floor. He picked it up and realized it was women's underwear, and he reacted by putting them on the receptionist's desk. The receptionist looks at the underwear and is both puzzled and grossed out by it. She scoops it off her desk and throws it in the trash bin in our kitchen/copy room. A while later Ms. Fancypants walks in the kitchen, looks in the trash and finds the underwear she was missing hours earlier. Ha! Mystery solved!
We're in the middle of winter, so I'm sure that as she changed this morning, somehow the extra pair of undies became trapped in between her layers of clothing, which is why she didn't feel anything. I however, like to think that static kept her "chonies" attached to the back of her sweater and I picture her walking around all morning displaying it on her back. It just makes for a funnier picture in my mind.
Ha, ha, ha! I love Ms. Fancypants! I want to be just like her when I grow up. She was such a good sport about the whole thing. We teased her all day, and when 5:30pm came around, the 65 year old proudly says "Good night everyone. I'm glad I was able to give you all a good laugh!"
This my friends, is why I love working around people. You don't get to share these kind of moments with your peers when you work from home.

Like my blog? Please vote for me at
Top Mommy Blogs.com! It only takes 1 second.

No comments :