Monday, September 3, 2012

Banana Guava Protein Shake

I absolutely love my GNC on-the-go personal blender. I was never a breakfast person, until I started working out and started feeling hungry all the time. I make protein shakes at least 3 times a week, which I drink during my half hour commute to work.
Banana Guayaba Smoothie

One of my favorite smoothie flavors for shakes is Banana Guava, which I discovered recently after trying to figure out what to do with all the fruit my mom's guava trees have given this year. Actually, over the last two years, I've been experimenting a lot, creating my own recipes. I never really measure anything, I just "eye-ball" it. Truth is, there's much flexibility when creating your own blended drinks, you can always substitute one ingredient with another or omit it all together.

Banana Guava Smoothie / Protein Shake, Ingredients: 
1/2 large banana
4 medium guavas
1/4 cup yogurt (I like Greek Yogurt)
1/4 cup Milk (I use 1%, you can omit the milk or substitute with soy milk)
1/4 cup water
1 scoop protein powder (Optional ~ I use Designer Whey, French Vanilla)
4-5 ice cubes
1 teaspoon honey (optional)
dash of cinnamon

Directions: 
Cut the banana in half, save one half in the fridge or freezer for later use, and peel the other half and place in your blender. I usually just cut the ends of the guava and place them in the blender without taking the seeds out. I just drink them, but if you prefer to take the seeds out, you can cut the guavas in half and scoop them out. Add the rest of your ingredients, blend and enjoy! Yields a about two large glasses, which gives me plenty to share with my 8-year old daughter before I drop her off at school.
licuado de platano y guayaba
Note: Sometimes, I add two tablespoons of dry uncooked oats to make it more filling, depending on how hungry I am or how much "fuel" I'll need to get me through the first hours of the day.
 
Like my blog? Please vote for me at Top Mommy Blogs.com! It only takes 1 second.

No comments :