Thursday, October 4, 2012

Birthday Gifts and Birthday Wishes

I went shopping for a birthday gift for a 7 year old boy recently and came home empty handed. I found myself overwhelmed with the choices and in disbelief of the high prices for toys. $30-$50 bucks for something they’ll play with once or twice? For something they’ll probably break or lose? Sheez. I just can’t bring myself to spend that much on toys, because frankly, I don’t think many of them add much value to a child’s life. In fact, I believe some toys limit creativity and imagination during playtime. After my disappointing hunt for the perfect gift in the toy section, I wandered over to the clothes section, but seriously, when have you seen a kid get excited over clothes? Sigh…the hunt continues.
The truth is, I look at things much differently now. Most people I know already have everything they need and more. In my opinion, if you acquire something you don’t need, it becomes clutter, and I hate clutter – with passion! I don’t want to own it and I don’t want to gift it. See my dilemma?
Despite my discontent with clutter and culture’s obsession with acquiring an excessive amount of unnecessary material possessions, I think of myself as a very generous person. I give to different charities on a regular basis and I like to surprise my loved ones with special treats every now and then, especially on random days instead of the days our culture has designated for gift-giving. I also like to put a lot of thought into it; I don’t mind spending a decent amount of money on a gift, if it fulfills a need or if it will be of value in someone’s life.
My above mentioned dilemma got me thinking about my own birthday wishes for this year. With it being about a week away, I can honestly say that all I want on that day (and every day of my life) is a good, filling, flavorful meal and the continued love and support from my family and friends.

But what would make my day EXTRA special? A bit of your time.
Yes, time. Time to:
  • Become workout buddies
  • Have breakfast at Elmer’s (I LOVE their pancakes)
  • Go hiking together
  • Take a Zumba master class together
  • Sign up to run a 5k or 10k  together
  • Paint pottery
  • Treat ourselves to manis and pedis
  • Enjoy a weekend getaway, somewhere neither of us has been before
  • Enjoy a Grey’s Anatomy Netflix marathon, complete with pizza, snacks and drinks
  • Hanging out at a coffee shop chatting the night away
The most valuable gift one can ever receive are memories made with YOU. Kids are too young to understand it, but I’m glad I do. And in time, they will too.

Cheers! To the wonderful holiday season ahead and another year of life to make more memories.
 
Like my blog? Please vote for me at Top Mommy Blogs.com! It only takes 1 second.

No comments :