Monday, February 18, 2013

What the font is this, Valentine?


So last year on Valentine's Day, Mr. Perez showed up to my job with a bouquet of roses and a box of chocolates. The women in the office ooohed and ahhhed and I just about barfed. Of all things, red roses? Sigh...so cliché, so NOT me.
I went through the entire year a little ticked that after 12 years of knowing the guy, he showed up with a bouquet of my least favorite flowers. It's been bugging me since then, so in an effort to prevent the same thing from happening this year, I had an honest talk with him.

"Valentine roses, chocolates, bouquets and stuffed animals suck! They are commercialized clutter. Experiences make me happy."

Indeed, experiences and things I need make me happy, like exercise, food, fashion accessories and fonts. Yes I need fonts! Especially this one, Mandevilla, by Laura Worthington. OMG, it would look so chic and elegant in one of my invitation designs. But I wasn't about to ask him for fonts, or accessories for that matter. He's anti technology and has no sense of fashion. I'm not even sure he knows what a font is. Yes ladies and gentlemen, I married a caveman. A strong, kind-hearted, caveman who says he doesn't have to worry about not knowing how to match his clothes because his good looks make up for his lack of fashion sense. Lol. At least he has a sense humor.

So I proceeded...

"Please don't feel like you have to give me something just because it's Valentine's. But if you feel you must, how about you give me some of your time and a 'yes' agreeing to run another 5k or a half marathon with me?"

His reply: "Yes! Just not on the same day."

Me: "Yay! Thank you."
I felt the need to further explain, so I continued with: "Look, I like flowers, just as you like TV. But giving me red roses would be the same as forcing you to watch endless episodes of Victorious on Nickelodeon, instead of letting you watch The Sopranos."

Yeah, I think I made my point.

So, is it just me, or are there other women out there that don't buy into the Valentine's hype?
Hmmm...

Like my blog? Please vote for me at Top Mommy Blogs.com! It only takes 1 second.

No comments :